Posted by: ed | September 17, 2007

Kinneil House open this weekend

HISTORIC buildings in Bo’ness are open to the public this weekend
(Saturday, September 22 and Sunday, September 23).

Seven sites will provide free access as part of the national “Doors
Open Days” initiative. The event has been organised locally by
Falkirk Council in conjunction with the Scottish Civic Trust, local
building owners and enthusiastic volunteers.

On show will be:

* Carriden House – a 16th century towerhouse, now used as bed and
breakfast;
* Carriden Church – built in the Romanesque style and opened in 1909;
* Carriden Old Church – built in 1766 and finished in a simple
Georgian style;
* Kinneil House – with its impressive renaissance wall paintings;
* Kinneil Church – which dates back to the 12th century;
* The Hippodrome – Scotland’s oldest surviving purpose-built cinema;
and
* Dymock’s Buildings – one of the old dwellings in Bo’ness town
centre, lovingly restored by the National Trust and now used by a
housing association.

Opening times will vary over the weekend. Full details are in
brochures available from libraries and council offices or by visiting
www.falkirk.gov.uk and clicking the “Doors Open Days” link.Councillor Adrian Mahoney, the council’s convener of environment and heritage, said: “Free open days like this are always a big attraction
– and the high number of buildings being opened in Bo’ness this year should draw in lots of visitors.”
He added: “We must thank the building owners and agents who are opening to their doors to the public during this year’s event. Without their support, and the backing on enthusiastic volunteer
guides, Doors Open Days couldn’t go ahead.”
The Council has supported the Doors Open Days initiative since 1994. Similar events are held across Scotland and tie in with the wider European Heritage Days project.

Advertisements

Categories

%d bloggers like this: