Posted by: ed | June 13, 2008

Kinneil House open on June 28

THE image looks fimiliar: a Bo’ness Fair Queen, flanked by her courtiers and fairies and flower girls. But take a closer look. For this is an image of the SECOND Bo’ness Fair, way back in 1898. Queen Clarence MacCauley and her retinue were pictured by photographer Alexander Dufton outside historic Kinneil House, one of the early Fair venues.

As part of the celebrations this year, Kinneil House is providing free access to the inside of the House on the afternoon of Saturday, June 28 – the day after this year’s crowning ceremony. Guides from the charity The Friends of Kinneil will be on hand to tell people about the building’s history – and its links with the Bo’ness Fair.

The opening – which will run from 12 noon to 4 p.m. – has been organised in conjunction with Historic Scotland. The last admissions to the House will be 30 minutes before closing.

A spokesperson for The Friends said: “The House played an important role in the early Bo’ness Fairs. We therefore felt it was important that we helped to open the building to tie in with the 100th Fair. People can tour the building for free the day after this year’s Fair and find out about its rich and varied history – including Kinneil’s links with our fantastic Fair Festival.”

The spokesperson added: “Many former Bo’nessians come back to the town for the Fair – and this seemed a good time to help provide access to the historic house.”

Picture courtesy of FALKIRK MUSEUMS

——————————

Advertisements

Categories

%d bloggers like this: